Sunday 29 April 2012

Calder High, assembly

Monday 23rd April

My Mayoral theme 2011/ 2012 it to encourage school twinning activities and to encourage youngsters to get involved with international links.

I speak fluent German and use my language  regularly in my daily paid job outside being Mayor. I travel overseas approximately every 2 weeks and help generate much needed export business for the UK. As a trained Engineer with a 2nd language capability I have done this successfully for over 20 years.

This year in my Community role as Mayor my simple wish was to influence as many young people as possible in the area as possible so that future links could be made. It is for this reason I did the school assembly to around 200 year 8 students, who are currently making life choices in the subjects they are taking.

Assisted by our International President David Parry, the assembly presentation was in 2 parts; first element was a brief overview of the function of the council and role of the Mayor. I reminded the student that Parish council work was voluntary. During the question session, one diligent student asked how did I pay my bills and feed the family. This led perfectly onto the second part of the presentation - working for a global business and the importance of international links.

In short I told them about our global export business at Cummins Turbo Technologies and how international links / languages  had not only helped me gain much needed export business but also enabled me to travel and see the world over the past 20 years in the process. I told them that during my school years I was involved in school twinning and this initiated my interest in languages and foreign links to helps me where I am today

David Parry also reminded the students the importance of getting involved with our existing twinning links so that connections/ friend could be formed and new languages be developed.



David Parry and myself during the presentations

The students all listened diligently and may questions were asked. Both myself and David were very pleased with the interest and we both said we would be very happy to give future assemblies in the coming future.


Cllr Scott Trickett
Mayor of Hebden Royd Town Council

No comments:

Post a Comment